Individuals with previous roller derby experience are invited to join the Monterey Bay Derby Dames as Transfer Members. Skaters, Referees, and NSOs may all apply via the Transfer Member process, and the primary benefit of this process as compared to our General Interest Application process is that it allows skaters with sufficient skills to skip MBDD’s Bootcamp and Fresh Meat training periods.
The actual Membership Classification of Transfer Members who are accepted into the league will be determined by the Training Committee and the Board of Directors as prescribed by MBDD policy. Current available classifications include Fresh Meat, Skater, Referee, and NSO.
Member Classifications determine which practices each member may attend, which practices count toward attendance requirements, whether or not the member may play with the team, etc. Note: if you meet the requirements to join as a Skater, you will enter MBDD’s assessed skater practice and prepare for scrimmage with the team.
In order to join MBDD as a Skater, you must:
- Have passed the WFTDA Minimum Skills Assessment if transferring from a WFTDA league (either full-member or apprentice) or have passed a skills assessment comparable to the WFTDA Minimum Skill Assessment if transferring from a Non-WFTDA league OR have verifiable experience competing in full-length bouts in front of a paying audience
— AND —
- Pass a Skater Skill Assessment administered by MBDD’s Training Committee. This assessment may include the WFTDA Minimum Skills Assessment & scrimmaging and may be tailored to reveal the abilities of the individual applicant.
The first 5 steps must be completed prior to participating in a Skater Skill Assessment, and all of these steps must be completed & verified by the Director of Training prior to your first official practice with MBDD.
- Complete the Transfer Member Application Form.
- Obtain 2 Letters of Recommendation from the current leadership of your league. Have these 2 individuals send the LOR’s directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact email@example.com to schedule a Skater Skill Assessment and/or coordinate attendance at your first guest skate
- Read and sign MBDD’s Liability Waiver
- Complete MBDD’s Emergency Contact Form
- Pay your WFTDA insurance premium (On-skates Classifications only)
- Pay your first month’s dues
- Read and sign MBDD’s Code of Conduct
- Provide a legible photocopy of your Driver’s License or other government photo I.D
- Provide a legible photocopy of the insurance card for your primary medical coverage